Call for a free consultation
(877) 762-0702
How Do I Apply for IHSS for My Child with Down Syndrome?

How Do I Apply for IHSS for My Child with Down Syndrome?

Raising a child with Down syndrome can be difficult financially. You have to work and pay the bills, but your child needs constant care. How do you juggle all the responsibilities? In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), a California program, may be able to assist you with the resources you need. It provides the disabled, blind, those with limited income or over the age of 65 with in–home care services to help them remain safely at home. But how do you apply for IHSS for your child with Down syndrome?

What Does IHSS Cover?

There are various types of services that can be authorized through IHSS. Some examples of services covered for children under 18 would be domestic and related services, paramedical services, personal care/non-medical services, travel services, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired. Other services that are covered but less frequently used for minors are heavy cleaning, yard hazard abatement, laundry, teaching and demonstration services, and restaurant/meal allowances.

IHSS Programs

There are three different IHSS programs: The Medi–Cal Personal Care Services Program (PCSP), The IHSS Independence Plus Waiver Program (IPWP) and The Original or Residual IHSS Program (IHSS–R). The PCSP and IPWP programs are funded with federal, state and county dollars, while the IHSS–R program is funded with state and county dollars only. Each of these programs provides the same services but have different eligibility criteria.

PCSP: Recipients are eligible because they have qualified for Medi–Cal on basis of age, blindness, or disability. Most IHSS recipients are part of the PCSP program.

IPWP: Recipients are eligible because they have qualified for Medi–Cal and are also part of one of the following groups: parent provider for a minor child, spouse providers, advance pay cases and meal allowance cases.

IHSS–R: Recipients do not meet PCSP or IPWP requirements and usually have Satisfactory Immigration Status, which denies them federal reimbursement.

Eligibility for IHSS

If you are a California resident and receive Medi-Cal benefits, you may be eligible for IHSS. Eligibility is assessed with an evaluation regarding whether your child needs the services it provides to stay safely in your own home as an alternative to out-of-home placement.

How to apply for IHSS 

You must complete an IHSS application. As part of the application process, there are many pieces of documentation that will need to be submitted accurately, such as a medical certification form and similar forms.

Once IHSS receives your application, a caseworker will be assigned to conduct a needs assessment. During the needs assessment, the caseworker will come into your home and ask you questions about your child’s physical and mental capacity in order to determine what he or she can and cannot do. Your living situation will also be evaluated. After the needs assessment, the IHSS caseworker will contact you and let you know if you have been approved or denied the service.

If you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.

American Advocacy Group is on the front lines every day, making positive change happen for people diagnosed with autism, Down syndrome and a range of diagnoses across the continuum. As a leading advocate for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, and the premier provider of the support and services people want and need, we understand the system and know how to take action in regard to your best interests.


Dial (877) 762-0702 or email us at [email protected].

By submitting this form, you agree to receive communication from American Advocacy Group via email, phone, or other means.

American Advocacy Group
Follow us
American Advocacy Group© 2014