Call for a free consultation
(877) 762-0702
Do I Get Money if My Child Has Autism?

Do I Get Money if My Child Has Autism?

If your child has autism and you live in California, then you could be eligible for monetary payments. Programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provide financial benefits in California that can help pay for therapies and other treatments, or simply daily expenses that become difficult if you have to take time off or you are unable to work completely. This translates into money you can get to help raise your child with autism.

IHSS Explained

IHSS is a California program that provides financial support for in-home caretakers of children with developmental disabilities including autism. While a variety of benefits are available, the most important for families of children with special needs is “Protective Supervision.”

When you are approved for Protective Supervision, you will receive an hourly wage to stay home and care for your child. This wage is exempt from federal income taxes.

How to Qualify for IHSS

The first step for you to be approved for IHSS benefits for your child with autism is meeting the criteria outlined.

If you are a California resident, you are eligible for IHSS if your child:

  • Is eligible for SSI/SSP or Medi–Cal
  • Is blind or disabled
  • Is living in a home of his or her choosing (not including a hospital, nursing home, assisted living, or licensed care facility)
  • Is unable to live safely at home without care

How to Start Your Application for IHSS 

You must complete an IHSS application. As part of the application process, there are many pieces of documentation that will need to be submitted accurately, such as a medical certification form and similar forms.

Once IHSS receives your application, a caseworker will be assigned to conduct a needs assessment. During the needs assessment, the caseworker will come into your home and ask you questions about your child’s physical and mental capacity to determine what he or she can and cannot do. Your living situation will also be evaluated. After the needs assessment, the IHSS caseworker will contact you and let you know if you have been approved or denied the service. 

How Much Money Can I Get?

Payments are calculated by the hours of service needed for your child. The County Social Services Agency is responsible for doing a needs assessment for each family when you apply, every twelve months afterwards, and whenever the county has information that your child’s physical, mental, living, or social condition has changed. The number of hours authorized may change with each evaluation.

The State gives monthly service hours to a maximum of 195 hours per month for non–severely impaired applicants and 283 hours per month for the severely impaired. This can translate to up to approximately $3,000 a month, if eligible.

If you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.

American Advocacy Group is on the front lines every day, making positive change happen for people diagnosed with Autism, Down syndrome and a range of diagnoses across the continuum. As a leading advocate for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, and the premier provider of the support and services people want and need, we understand the system and know how to take action in regard to your best interests.


Dial (877) 762-0702 or email us at [email protected].

By submitting this form, you agree to receive communication from American Advocacy Group via email, phone, or other means.

American Advocacy Group
Follow us
American Advocacy Group© 2014