Call for a free consultation
(877) 762-0702
Are There Government Benefits for My Child with Cerebral Palsy?

Are There Government Benefits for My Child with Cerebral Palsy?

Cerebral palsy is the most common motor disability among children. The medical costs alone for children who have this disability are ten times higher than those of children who do not. It’s understandable then, that many families with a child with cerebral palsy experience significant financial stress. Many parents find that they cannot hold a full-time job at all. Can you get financial help for your child with cerebral palsy?

Fortunately, there are many ways that you can seek financial Help for your child with cerebral palsy. The first thing you want to do is contact your regional center for help and resources by clicking this link: Then, do some research online regarding the following financial assistance services:

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

IDEA helps to provide services for children with disabilities such as cerebral palsy. Each state handles payment for these services differently. Your state’s service coordinator must provide you with a system of payments in writing that details what is available and what it will cost.

Part C of IDEA provides early intervention services to children up to 36 months of age. Under Part C, you are entitled to the following services free of charge:

  • Evaluations and assessments
  • Development and review of an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)
  • Child Find services
  • Service coordination

Part B of IDEA assists school-age children between the ages of 3 and 21. This part of the act will provide you with the following services free of charge:

  • Specially designed instruction
  • Classroom adaptations, accommodations, and modifications
  • Supplementary aids and services such as assistive technology or peer tutors

In-Home Supportive Services

For qualified families, the state of California has a program called In-Home Supportive Service (IHSS), which pays an individual caregiver to stay home and care for a developmentally disabled child. Parents who have been deemed caregivers are granted a specific amount of hours every month so their child can remain safely in their own home, as it is considered an alternative to out-of-home care such as board and care facilities.

Medicaid Waivers

California has a program for individuals with developmental disabilities called a Medicaid Waiver, which is designed to provide support services and care to allow an individual to remain at home or in the community, rather than in an institution or hospital. The benefits provided by this waiver program generally provides coverage for medical treatments, respite care, transportation, in-home support, and more.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a monthly government payment through Social Security that was created to support people who are disabled. To help support them financially, individuals with cerebral palsy may be eligible to receive SSI.

Private or Non-Profit Organizations

Some private organizations and non-profits offer family grants, scholarships, and other types of financial help specifically to individuals with cerebral palsy to help pay for related expenses.

And as always, if you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.

American Advocacy Group is on the front lines every day, making positive change happen for people diagnosed with Autism, Down syndrome and a range of diagnoses across the continuum. As a leading advocate for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, and the premier provider of the support and services people want and need, we understand the system and know how to take action in regard to your best interests.


Dial (877) 762-0702 or email us at [email protected].

By submitting this form, you agree to receive communication from American Advocacy Group via email, phone, or other means.

American Advocacy Group
Follow us
American Advocacy Group© 2014